Monday, May 28, 2012

Botanic Gardens

Andrew and I visited the Botanic Gardens yesterday in DC.
"More than 200 years ago, George Washington had a vision for the capital city of the United States that included a botanic garden that would demonstrate and promote the importance of plants to the young nation. Established by the U.S. Congress in 1820, the U.S. Botanic Garden is one of the oldest botanic gardens in North America."

Untitled

The Botanic Gardens is a really beautiful place. There's so much depth to it and so many rooms and floors to explore. Each area has a theme, and the temperatures change depending on where you go.

2

The orchids were all in full bloom and each one was unique. I love orchids, but I haven't had much luck caring for them on my own. They're supposed to be one of the easier plants to take care of, but somehow I can't keep them alive. Before I moved to DC, I had one back in Wisconsin and my roommate Brian was the one who tended to it most of the time because I'd always forget about it. As a result, it died quickly after I moved into my place here since Brian wasn't around to water it. I'm so sorry, little orchid!

Untitled

Though I saw lots of pretty colors, my favorites were the delicate branches and intricate bunches of greens found throughout the gardens. I have an obsession with all things dainty.

Untitled
The cacti were awesome and definitely the most interesting for me. I find them so fascinating. For some reason these long caterpillar-type cacti reminded me of Sponge Bob Squarepants though I'm not sure why! Maybe the colors and weird oblong shapes resemble something you'd find on the sea floor in the cartoon...?

Untitled

More dainty green leaves. The tinier, the better!

flower3.jpg

I bet my dad knows the name of every plant and flower I photographed. I really want to take him here if and when he ever makes it out to DC. (He went to college for Horticulture.) He's a huge plant nerd and I love him for it.
If you're ever in DC, make sure you stop by the Botanic Gardens. Not only is it peaceful, beautiful, and interesting, but it's also free. That's one of my favorite things about DC. Even though the cost of living is high, most things you can do on the weekend are all free. I think that makes a huge difference and it's one of the many reasons I love this city.

14 comments:

  1. Great pictures! I love flowers :) Not sure which ones I like the most, all look so nice, the orchids, and cacti, lucky you you had a chance to see them all.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I LOVE the Botanic Gardens! You have to go around Christmas because they have an AWESOME/weird miniature display of a little forest village. It was the coolest ever.

    Gorgeous photos!
    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful photos! I fell in love with cacti when I went to Saguaro National Park last summer. I have six mini ones at home.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love all these pictures! So artistic!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Those flowers are absolutely beautiful!
    Those blue veined orchids are incredible.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Beautiful pictures! I think the cacti were my favorite, too! And how awesome that it's free :)
    I really love all the cool places you recommend in the DC area. I want to visit so many of them next time I'm down there!

    ReplyDelete
  7. These are pretty photos! I love to go see a botanic garden, too. If we have one. ♥ Just sayin' hello!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Gorgeous photos!! Hope your dad will be able to go when he is in town!! Have a lovely week! xo Heather

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow, amazing photos! I didn't get a chance to stop there when I was DC but I'm definitely putting it on my list for next time!

    ReplyDelete
  10. love the amazing bokeh in that first shot. simply stunning.

    ReplyDelete
  11. The photos are amazing, so calming.

    http://www.tamarasblend.com/

    ReplyDelete
  12. These photos are absolutely beautiful! My cousin and her husband are moving to DC in a few months; I'll have to tell her about this!

    ReplyDelete
  13. The DC botanical gardens look amazing! I'll have to put that on my list of placed to visit when I make a trip to DC. I love those purple and white orchids, I've never seen anything quite like them.

    I recently took a trip to some botanical gardens in Georgia if you wanted to check out my pictures here:

    http://caughtonawhim.blogspot.com/2012/05/botanical.html

    (Maybe your dad can name all the plants in my pictures too!)

    Have a beautiful weekend :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. holy wow those are pretty! i've never been to the botanic garden in DC but the one in chicago is breathtakingly beautiful.

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing from you!