Wednesday, March 14, 2012

Easy Peasy Vegan Chocolate Cake

I like sweets more than normal food. It's bad. Andrew says I have the diet of an Oompa Loompa and my roommates always joke about how often I crave cookies. I can't help it! My teeth will probably fall out or rot way before they should, but it will be so worth it.

That being said, I made a chocolate cake the other night, and it was completely vegan! I want to show you how simple it is to make delicious vegan sweets that will surely please everyone, so here's another step-by-step recipe. Enjoy!


This is all you need for the cake. (Plus water.)
Certain cake mixes are already vegan, you just have to read the ingredients. Since dark chocolate is made with real cocoa and not milk, Duncan Hines Dark Chocolate Fudge cake mix is Vegan until you add the eggs yourself. This mix calls for three large eggs, but that's where this lovely box of Egg Replacer comes in handy!


I followed the directions on the box which told me to add the water and oil to the cake mix.
Separately, I prepared the Egg Replacer.


1 egg = 1 1/2 tsp dry Egg Replacer plus 2 tbsp warm water.
So for this cake, I used 4 1/2 tsp dry Egg Replacer and 6 tbsp warm water.


After the Egg Replacer was mixed thoroughly, I added it to the cake mix.



I popped it in the oven and let it bake for a little over 30 minutes.

While it was in there, I made Vegan frosting!
Oooo-ahhhh.


I had a recipe for vegan chocolate frosting from this book. I got it on Amazon not too long ago but I don't really use it all that often. This frosting is suuuuper good though, so I'm excited to try out some more recipes very soon.

2 ounces bitter or semi-sweet chocolate
(If you're ounce-challenged like I am, 2 ounces = 1/4 cup)
1/2 cup margarine, softened
(I use Earth Balance for all of my vegan cooking. You can find it at most grocery stores.)
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
2 1/3 to 3 cups powdered sugar, sifted
2 tablespoons milk
(I used vanilla soy milk, but I'm sure original or lite will also work just fine.)


In a large bowl, cream together chocolate and margarine.


Mix in powdered sugar and vanilla until mixture is a little crumbly.
(I used a strainer to sift the powdered sugar into the bowl I placed below it.)


It may feel like it will never come together, but don't give up on it!


It's very messy... :)

Add just enough milk to make frosting smooth to desired consistency.


Yummmm.


And that's that.
Don't forget to let the cake cool completely before frosting it!

This cake was a huge hit in my house. Everyone loved it. I really enjoy baking for people; it brings me so much joy. Is that cheesy?? Oh well, it's true! The main reason I love vegan baking is because I find it interesting and I like the challenge. I love surprising people who automatically assume vegan desserts can't be delicious just because they're vegan. That word scares people for some reason...
Anyway, I also like being able to feed Kendal. I'd feel terrible making non-vegan desserts all the time that she couldn't have, haha.

Let me know if you try this recipe or if you have something similar you'd like me to try.
I'd love some requests!

Happy Pi day, by the way. ;)

8 comments:

  1. i bake all the time but i didn't know that there's an egg replacer now. i hope that's available here also.

    by the way, i posted a new giveaway and would love for you to join:
    http://www.icingandwrite.com/2012/03/giveaway-tala-retro-icing-bag-set.html

    thanks! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm definitely gonna have to try this. After being on my diet for the last two weeks, I find I crave sweets so bad but crave being healthy more! This looks like a nice mix of both.

    ReplyDelete
  3. are you a vegan??

    i am thinking about doing it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This looks divine! Oh. My. Goodness. I want some now.

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing from you!