Wednesday, February 15, 2012

Baked Apple Pies

If you're a follower of my blog, or have just recently stumbled upon it, something I'm sure you've noticed is how serious my addiction is with Pinterest.

I just love it, probably a little too much. It's so lovely! There are cute things, funny things, interesting things, beautiful things, delicious things, and creative things. It gives me so many ideas and really gets my creative juices flowing.
What's better than that??

After browsing through hundreds of incredible desserts on Pinterest, I found a baked apple pie recipe that made my mouth water. I love apple desserts. They usually include brown sugar and cinnamon which I love more than most things. The combination of those three things is one of my all time favorite flavors, so I had to give this recipe a try.

It was originally posted here.

Ingredients:
(Recipe makes 4 baked apples)
  • 5-6 Granny Smith Apples
  • (Make sure they can stand on their own!)
  • 1 Teaspoon Cinnamon
  • 1/4 Cup Sugar
  • 1 Tablespoon Brown Sugar
  • Pie Crust
  • (Homemade or Pre-made)
Untitled

Cut off the tops of 4 apples and discard. Remove the inside of each apple with a spoon or melon baller very carefully, as to not puncture the peel.

Untitled

If you’re a skilled interior apple excavator, salvage as much as you can so you can use it for the next step.

Untitled

Remove skin from remaining apple(s) and slice very thinly. These apple pieces will give you the additional filling needed to fill the four apples you are baking.

Mix sliced apples with sugars and cinnamon in a bowl. If you prefer more or less cinnamon make adjustments as desired. Same goes for the sugar.

Untitled

Scoop sliced apples into hollow apples.

Untitled

Untitled

Mini Baked Apple Pies

Roll out pie crust and slice into 1/4 inch strips. You can also add a strip of pastry inside the top of the apple almost like a liner to add a little more texture/sweetness to the pie. Cover the top of the apple in a lattice pattern with pie crust strips.

(We skipped this step since we didn't use crust. I wanted to make these vegan so that Kendal could eat them, but I wasn't having much luck making vegan pie crust. I found recipes, but was lacking in a few necessities.)

Place apples in an 8×8 pan. Add just enough water to the cover the bottom of the pan. Cover with foil and bake for 20-25 minutes. Remove foil and bake for an additional 20 minutes or until crust is golden brown and sliced apples are soft.

Untitled

I guess you can't really tell, but this is what they look like when you take them out!

Untitled

And this is what happens when you cut into them... Yummmmmmm.

They were soooo good warm, just out of the oven. I definitely think a nice crust would have made them even better, and adding ice cream or whipped cream would have been divine!
Next time...

Let me know if you end up trying the recipe!
I'd love to hear how yours turn out.

5 comments:

  1. YUM! This looks freakin' amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yummy! I love how creative this is to bake it inside the apple! Super cute!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, that sounds seriously delicious and looks seriously cute, I love it! Thanks for sharing this, I'd love to try it out some time:D

    ReplyDelete
  4. o my goodness... these look FABULOUS

    grace
    http://herumbrella.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yum! These look good! WHen you are going to announce the winner of your giveaway!

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing from you!