Tuesday, January 17, 2012

Vegan Oatmeal No-Bake Cookies

I'm feeling a little down in the dumps today. Things might be changing for me this summer (for the best in the longrun, probably) but in the meantime I'm feeling a little disconnected, discouraged, sad, and grumpy. My whole body hurts and my brain won't be still.

So, to cure all of these emotions that I hate so much, I decided to make cookies. I hear this is a common thing to do when you're sad. It's strange. I always feel like I want to make cookies or cake when I'm feeling major anxiety or depression. Maybe this means a future for me in baking? It happens that way for some people. That'd be lovely.

Have I ever mentioned my dream of owning a no-kill kitty shelter/thrift store/vegan bakery? Imagine it. It would be pure heaven.
Anyway, I actually didn't do much baking today. I made no-bake cookies instead. They turned out yummy. I found the recipe on Pinterest... Again, what on Earth did we do before Pinterest?

It was originally posted on Lick The Bowl Good's blog. I just switched it up and made it vegan.

Here's the recipe:
  • 2 cups sugar
  • 1 stick oleo, margarine or butter (I used Earth Balance)
  • 3 Tbsp. cocoa powder
  • 1/2 cup milk (I used vanilla soy milk)
  • 1/2 cup crunchy peanut butter
  • 1 tsp. vanilla extract
  • 3 cups oatmeal (old fashioned rolled oats, not instant)


Mix the sugar, butter, cocoa, and milk in a medium saucepan.


Boil for 1 minute.


Add the peanut butter and vanilla.


Mix quickly until peanut butter melts, then add the oatmeal and mix until it's well blended.


Drop spoonfuls on tin foil, wax paper or parchment.



Allow to set and cool completely.


Makes 2 dozen 3 inch cookies.

Yum yum yum yum yum! Thanks for making my day not as dreary as it would have been without these easy yet delicious cookies, Monica.

5 comments:

  1. You're so sweet. Thanks for the kind message. I'm so glad you liked these cookies- makes me want to make them again, as yours look great!

    ~Monica h

    ReplyDelete
  2. A. Cookies look amazing, thank you for sharing.

    B. I stared at my computer screen for hours today feeling just the way you have explained... What is it with these winter blues.

    little disconnected, discouraged, sad, and grumpy. My whole body hurts and my brain won't be still.

    seriously took the words right outta my mouth.

    Here's to a better tomorrow...hopefully ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful pictures, you've successfully made me hungry!! ;)

    Hope you feel better today. Winter blues sucks. I think some sunshine is definitely overdue. My perfect remedy is a cup of tea and some choccy (or your lovely cookies could be a good substitute!)x

    ReplyDelete
  4. looks really good! Great blog, so I'm a new follower =)

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing from you!